First off, I need to talk about Lost. It was a good season finale. Not spectacular, but good. And, of course, they gave some cliffhangers. The whole Jack "flashback"...was it actually a "flash forward"? Or were Kate and Jack together on an island before? At first, I was subscribing to the latter theory, since Jack mentioned his father on more than one occasion. But now, I'm thinking it was more of a look forward to what could potentially happen if they were to actually get off of that island at the beginning of next season. Granted, it won't happen because we know they've got three more seasons on the island and then the show's done. But why do I think it was a potential flash of the future and not a flashback? Well, first off, the idea that some or all of these people were stranded on an island together before makes next to no sense. That would have to mean that we're actually getting bits and pieces from each of their times on an island together. And, though I wouldn't put that past the writers of the series, it just seems to mind-boggling to make any sense. But, then, how do we explain Jack's father being alive in the flash forward sequences, if that's what they are? Well, that's actually a much simpler thing to make sense of than the "We've been stranded twice" scenario. Jack is obviously suffering from some bout of depression in those sequences. It's quite possible that Jack believes his dad is alive when he's very much dead. Then again, maybe his dad's on the island somewhere, like Locke's "father." I don't know. There's plenty to think about, for sure.
And then there's American Idol. I'll be honest...I didn't watch at all this season after the Hollywood stuff. Part of that was because I picked up a Tuesday night shift at work and preferred to tape Veronica Mars. But the bigger issue was that I was just not that impressed with any of the competitors. I mean, I liked Chris Sligh, and I was disappointed when he got booted, and I enjoyed Blake Lewis and wanted him to win come finale time, but I really didn't pay attention to the show at all. I already know I won't be buying any of the CDs from this season's competitors. It's no surprise that Jordin won at 17...I mean, any one of them could've won this year, because they really were all average at best. I did think it was cool, however, when my dad told me that Scott Krippayne had co-wrote the song that won the songwriting competition. He's always been an impressive writer, so it's cool that he got some recognition (I wouldn't be surprised to see him sell a couple thousand copies of his CDs this week because people enjoyed the song).
Next season is looking kind of boring right now. None of the new shoes look incredibly interesting. I mean, I'll look into one or two, but there's a lot less shows that I'm going to watch come fall. Prison Break and Heroes on Monday night (and then 24 come January), maybe Chuck and probably The Unit on Tuesdays, Bones and Lost on Wednesday, Smallville and CSI on Thursday, and Numb3rs on Friday (with Bones moving to Friday at 8 come January...at the moment anyway). Now, I know some people are saying, "But Josh, that's two shows most nights, and at least one show every night." Yes, this is true, however, I don't know if I'll be watching The Unit or not, and Chuck will have to be pretty darn good to stay there. Plus, this is in comparison to last year, when I was watching Prison Break, 24, Veronica Mars, Bones, Lost, Smallville, The OC, CSI, Numb3rs and Psych when it came back in January (Boy, I hope they're running that during the summer again...such a great show), not to mention that I had meant to watch The Unit, I added Heroes around November, and I think there were some others that I'm forgetting. So I don't know. At least most of my favorites are returning, and I can enjoy those.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment